This summer we've been able to enjoy a little nature in our own backyard. We raised some black swallowtail butterflies that we brought in as caterpillars from our parsley plant. We made a home for them with left over pink
tulle from Ellie's birthday and a tomato cage. We fed them fresh parsley daily and then had the
privilege of watching them transform up close. I never realized their chrysalis forms from the inside out. Awesome metaphor there! Then, we got to set the butterflies free as they came out of the chrysalis. I think I was even more excited about this whole process than the kids were.
fat little caterpillars


shedding their skin to reveal the chrysalis

out of the chrysalis, ready to fly

set free!

enjoying a drink from our garden


our Monarch
Then yesterday, Jack spotted this little guy way up high on our front porch. I never would have noticed him. I thought he was sleeping (it was daytime afterall), but the zoom on the lens showed he was, to my dismay, AWAKE!
Is that a BAT?!?!? Okay, I cannot wait to raise butterflies again...it really is amazing. Did you get to see it come out? Thanks for posting the photos...they are great!!
ReplyDeleteI forgot to sign my comment, but I'm sure if you weren't sure who Tuesday Waynemeir is, you figured it out by clicking the link....anywho, I always wanted to be named Tuesday and Stephen added the Waynemeier part...and online I get to have the name I've always wanted...;)
ReplyDeleteLove you, Sarah! Wish we could have visited longer this summer....hope your trip to Colorado was amazing!
Joy
Hi Sarah!
ReplyDeleteAs always, I love reading your blog and seeing what you all are up to!!
We welcomed our new little Joshua Daniel into the family last week. He is amazing and I am so in love!! :) Hey, we are heading to AR for JBU homecoming this year, wondered if we might get to see you when we are down in your neck of the woods! I don't have an e-mail for you. My e-mail is reinhard1432@yahoo.com, let me know if you guys are planning on homecoming or if we could just visit you sometime! Love, Katie